These days, any company that puts vehicles on the road must make green fleet management a top priority. Eco-friendly work trucks are essential for complying with today’s stringent environmental regulations, as well as meeting the organization’s sustainability objectives. This poses a unique challenge: finding ways to become greener without increasing transportation costs or reducing driver productivity and efficiency.
The good news is that you don’t have to go out and spend a fortune on a brand-new fleet or retrofit your trucks with expensive add-ons to make them “leaner and greener.” There are several easy-to-implement steps you can take right now that won’t take a big bite out of your budget — and possibly save your company some money in the process.
The following tips can help your organization develop and implement eco-friendly fleet management practices that are also cost-effective:
- Driver training: Instruct your drivers on how to maximize fuel efficiency while they’re on the road. Examples include slower acceleration, less engine idling time, not speeding and gentler braking. These practices will demonstrate that your company is a good steward of the environment, and they will also conserve fuel and lower your operating costs.
- Upgrade your existing vehicles: There are also some inexpensive ways to make your trucks more aerodynamic, which will contribute to lower fuel costs. Examples include installing roof fairings to minimize wind drag, and gap reducers to prevent the drag between the cab and the trailer.
- Utilize telematics: Implementing telematics technology will enable you to track equipment issues and vehicle maintenace more efficiently. You’ll be able to identify and correct problems that contribute to harmful emissions in the early stages.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance: Make sure all your vehicles receive regularly scheduled maintenance — an efficiently operating truck is also a cleaner, more environmentally friendly truck.
- Optimize truck routes: Use GPS mapping software to optimize the routes of all your drivers. This can significantly reduce the number of miles your fleet travels and lower your fuel consumption. Route optimization will also save time, allowing you to provide more efficient delivery service to your customers.
- Offer incentives to your drivers: Incentivize your fleet drivers by providing financial rewards to those who implement fuel-efficient driving practices. It’s a relatively small price to pay, and the fuel savings can more than offset the additional expenditure. You’ll also increase the level of employee satisfaction, which can bolster your retention efforts.
- Make green vehicle replacement decisions: When the time comes to replace an aging truck, consider electric or hybrid trucks as an alternative to gas or diesel models. While these vehicles may come with a higher price tag, the fuel savings can cover the additional costs in the long run.
Reading Truck Body Can Assist Your Green Fleet Management Efforts
Reading Truck Body offers aerodynamic truck caps and other products that can contribute to eco-friendly fleet management practices. You can trust our more than 60 years of truck equipment expertise. Locate a distributor near you or contact us online to learn more.